Wednesday, May 17, 2006

yankee hotel foxtrot

possibly i am the only person who would spend the day before moving to seattle not packing, but looking up apartments in chicago. apparently my nomadic style is so severe that i have started planning two moves in advance.
i leave spokane tomorrow. i'm loading my car up again & driving to seattle where i'm going to spend the summer with my dad, my mom & my sister, which i'm massively looking forward to after a long & insane 7 months of crazy times, like: 2 funerals, a surgery, & multiple nervous breakdowns. i told my sister i'm probably going to jump up & down singing the rocky theme song when i get there, because for me this move is the end of 7 months of grief, possible actual craziness, & living in my grandpa's basement. not that i am sorry i was here: i really wouldn't change this time of being here for anything. i loved getting to know spokane (which is where i was born, but i haven't lived here since i was a kid) & i loved getting to know my family that i really haven't been around much in a long time. plus i just know it was the right place at the right time... but damn, i'm glad it's over.
next? i think i'm going to move to chicago in the fall. hence, the time looking up 'bucktown' & 'river north' on the computer, when i should have been downstairs packing for seattle. because of this possible fall move my sister & i, in the name of research, decided to look up the marina city buildings. even though they're right in the middle of chicago, overlooking the river, & right next to the house of blues (not to mention on a certain wilco cover,) i remember them looking mildly rundown & kindof 70's-ish, so i thought maybe i had a shot at them being vaguely in my price range. well, chances are that with my price range i'll be living in cabrini green. but still, these buildings turn out to be as cool inside as they look from outside: apparently, every apartment is wedge shaped. so you come in the door at sort of the tip of the apartment, in the middle of the building, & then they get wider as you go into the apartment -- & every single one of them ends with a balcony. there are studios, 1 bed or 2 bed; if you have a bedroom, you also have another balcony. the buildings were built to be a "city within a city," so inside, besides apartments, there are restaurants, a dry cleaners, a grocery store, a gym, a bank, &... a bowling alley. i want to live there.
i realize that probably this is only interesting to me, but oh well. it's my weird & round-about way of saying goodbye to spokane & getting ready for what comes next. here's a little random spokane entertainment to make up for it, from the hilarity that is my cousin aaron. this has absolutely nothing to do with anything, but it makes me laugh, so here you go. who says there's nothing to do in spokane?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter