Sunday, February 11, 2007

i like africa.

actually, no. i love africa. if i could drop everything right now & go anywhere i wanted to go, i would absolutely go straight to africa. it even beats out my home away from home: england.

i had my 16th birthday in africa. i got to go there on a missions trip, 15 years old, & the whole continent stole my heart that summer.

africa shook up all my perceptions about people & places. one of the first things i remember, landing in durban, south africa, is riding in a car with a pastor's daughter who was about my age, & talking to her about what had been on oprah that week. weird.

africa is so exotic & beautiful & funky & sad. i love africa.


"once one has been to these challenging terrible places they're always strangely drawn back because there's nothing that can compare to seeing the raw reality of the basic human need for survival. it disgusts & inspires."
~dan eldon
pictures by jeremy cowart

3 Comments:

Blogger thekate said...

for Christmas, a dear friend sent me the "Hope in the Dark Book" full of Jeremy Cowart's photos of Africa. And look, now they're here on your blog. I tell ya.

Africa is a beauty. There is so much evil and heartbreak, but so much LIFE and vibrancy and resilience and color. Of course, it's a very big place. I love how Africa helped to remind me of what people can be, how differently we can decide to live, how real and close and loud and FELT life can be. I miss that... and yet it's with me still. Makes me feel like dancing.

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christy,
I really NEED to talk to you about Africa. Africa's really been on my heart latley. I know that if I go anywhere it will be Israel but I want to be able to pray and be politically active for Africa in the most intelligent way possible. Is this super nerdy? Do you want to talk about it sometime?
I can't wait to see you
Kate

8:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Christy this is Kate Miller Jenny's friend. On here my name is "anonymous" but that's not what my momma calls me!

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter